Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)
Introducing Specialist High Skills Majors (SHSM) at Denis Morris C. H. S. (in Hospitality and Tourism, Transportation Technology, Horticulture and Landscaping, Construction, Business, Health and Wellness and Arts and Culture.
- The SHSM is a specialized program that allows students to
focus their learning on a specific area (sector) while meeting the requirements
for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD). and assists in their transition
from secondary school to apprenticeship training, college, university, or
- An SHSM enables students to gain specific skills and knowledge
in career-related environments and helps them focus on graduation and on pursuing
their postsecondary goals.
- Every SHSM must include the following five components:
- a bundle of 8–10 Grade 11 and Grade 12 credits that includes
i 4 major credits that provide sector-specific knowledge and skills
ii 2–4 other required credits from the Ontario curriculum.
iii 2 cooperative education credits that provide experiences in a workplace setting.
- sector-recognized certifications and/or training courses
- experiential learning activities within the sector
- “reach ahead” experiences connected with the student’s chosen
- development of key Essential Skills and work habits required
in the sector, and the use of the Ontario Skills Passport (OSP) for purposes
of documentation Students having successfully completed all the SHSM components
and all other graduation requirements will be granted an OSSD Diploma with
a SHSM seal.
To sign-up for the SHSM programs or to get more information, please visit or call the Student Services Department at 905 684-8731 ext. 2319